Monday, November 24, 2008

Diving into the World of the Old Testament

A Spirit of Excellence

As I was reading in Judges my eyes fell upon chapter 5 verses 15 and 16: “In the districts of Reuben there was much searching of the heart. Why did you stay among the campfires to hear the whistling for the flocks? In the tribe of Reuben there was much searching of the heart.”
This tugged on my spirit’s curiosity, and I knew there was treasure to be gleaned. Who were these Reubenites? And why did they receive this chastisement? I began to dig back into the history of scripture. Entrenched in my study, I emerged into the land of Gilead, in the company of the Reubenites.
Here we were: shepherding their large flocks. But wait! Gilead? Why are they here? Why abiding in Gilead? I look and see that the Jordan River is only a short distance away. And there, across the river, is the Promised Land! Isn’t that the land they traveled towards for forty years with their fellow Israelites? I couldn’t find answers here. I wasn’t in the right place in history. I needed to rewind.
Next, I found myself in a desert. The atmosphere is, spiritually electric; but this is not a good thing. There is Moses and Aaron, standing before a large crowd. There in front of them were four men, who looked angry, and before them stood a large crowd. What was going on? I realize that some of these men were Reubenites. This was not a good thing. But still, no answer here. Once again I leave this plot to move further back in time.
Finally, here I am, standing in a tent room. There in the middle was an aged man lying on a bed surrounded by men, young and old. He began to lay his hands on each man and speak a blessing on them. I realized this was Jacob. He was sick and dying and the atmosphere was sad and serious. These blessings were obviously very important. There was Joseph, his two sons. There was Reuben, Simeon and Levi, Judah, Zebulun, Issachar, Dan, Gad, Asher, Naphtali, and Benjamin. The twelve sons of the twelve tribes of Israel! I saw why this was where I would find my answer. Caleb was blessing his sons and prophesying not only to their futures, but the future of the nation which would be born from each of his sons. I listened attentively to wait for Reuben’s turn. “Gather around so I can tell you what will happen to you in days to come.” Expectantly I gathered with the brothers to hear his quiet, feeble, but direct voice. “Assemble and listen, sons of Jacob; listen to your father Israel.” The circle around him grew tighter. “Reuben, you are my first born, my might, the first sign of my strength, excelling in honor, excelling in power.” I began to get excited. This man seemed to have it going on! But wait… He wasn’t done. Caleb continued, “Turbulent as the waters, you will no longer excel, for you went up onto your fathers bad, onto my couch and defiled it.” Wow! I began to understand now. The answers began to roll in. No excellence? I realized now that already the trend for these people had been set, by this man who was characterized with indecision and lack of initiative. I remembered he was the brother who didn’t want to see Joseph killed yet, only did small efforts to keep him alive instead of ending the problem all together. He set for his future children, and descendants, a trend in the spirit. I somberly went forward again in time. Back, step by step to where I began.
I returned to the desert with Moses and Aaron, still facing the angry crowd. The four men in front of the crowd speaking were Korah, a Levite also, Dathan, Abiram and On, all three Reubenites. “You have gone too far! The whole community is holy, every one of them. Why then do you set yourselves above the Lord’s assembly?” The men were outraged. I watched for Moses’ response. I was ready for fire to be called down. Who dare go against God’s elect; or the authority that he has ordained? Have these men not learned from the example of Aaron and Miriam? Instead of a rebuke I saw Moses fall face down. “In the morning the Lord will show you who belongs to him and who is holy, he will have that person come near to him.” After Moses confronted them, and challenged them to bring it before the Lord Moses summoned two of the Reubenites: Dathan and Abiram, but they would not come. First they stood before him, allowing another man to speak to him in contempt, and not that their statement was to be tested and followed through with they were backing out and complaining. I saw in two ways, Reuben’s prophecy being fulfilled already. Later, after God proved their fault, the four who stood against him were literally swallowed up in the ground, as well as all their belongings. What a fearful thing it was to stand against God’s anointed! The Israelites were all stirred up in terror.
Next I returned to the fields of Gileal. Instead of tending sheep, this time I was with the leaders of the tribe; standing once again in front of Moses. They were asking Moses to stay in the land before even entering the Promised Land; before experiencing God’s promise. They were settling for less! They went in, fought with their brothers, and when the enemy was defeated, they returned to Gileal. This added even more events characterizing their unwillingness to follow through and excel.
Lastly, I returned to the point I began. I joined Balak and Deborah in the middle of their praises being sung after the defeat of the Canaanite king. “In the districts of Reuben was much searching of the heart,” They sang. What happened? They refused to leave their flocks to fight! They were too comfortable to help their brothers in battle. Deborah recognized this as an issue of the heart, and not their circumstances.
Moses spoke over the Reubenites at the end of his life; that they might live, but that they would be few. This was the result of the conditions of their hearts. Their lack of excellence! Only once after this account is Reuben ever mentioned in history other than a couple references to them in Ezekiel and in Revelation. They didn’t die, but they are few.
What is the condition of your heart? What kind of man are you? Are what will your inheritance be? Excellence matters!

4 comments:

Jonathan Trentham said...

This is good. Really good. Thank you, Sarah. This gives me a lot to think and pray on.

Tim Atchley said...

Sweetie,

Good writing. I like how you are diving into the Word. Keep it up. i challenge you to find a way to say it with even fewer words though. That way your real brilliance will shine through.

love Dad

Ranan Alon said...

Very interesting. I wish that you would give our website a look.
twelvetribes.org

Shalom,

Ranan Alon

Sheila Atchley said...

Absolutely excellent, daughter! You are a GOOD writer...you pulled me in, with your imaginative approach of going back in time, and "standing there" with Moses, etc.

Really good. Keep it up!

PS. Tell dad, "That's the pot calling the kettle black!" ACK!

Just kidding, of course. :-)