Sunday, November 2, 2008

To My Mother


A MOM of Noble Character:
A MOM of noble character who can find? She is worth FAR MORE than rubies. Her husband has FULL confidence in her and lacks NOTHING of value. She brings him good, not harm, ALL the days of her life. She selects wool and flax and works with EAGER hands. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers. She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. Her husband is respected at the city gates, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her words bring her praise at the city gate.

Many would recognize this as the Proverbs 31 woman; a WIFE of noble character. However, I have found an equal substitute. If you read this scripture, it’s apparent that a large part of what makes a woman so honorable is the fact that she is an excellent mother. I say all this to state a specific point:
I HAVE A MOTHER OF NOBLE CHARACTER
Rubies are the rarest, most precious of all jewels. It is also the hardest of all minerals excepting the Diamond. In essence, this verse is stating the immeasurable value of such a woman as well as the quality of such a woman. In the 21 years of knowing my mother, NEVER have I seen anything but honor and pride exuding from my father’s mouth for my mom. They’ve been married nearly 22 years, and the look from my father’s eyes has never faded. It’s the look of love, admiration, and the sheer joy of the blessing she’s brought him in marriage. In the 21 years of knowing her NEVER have I seen her lazy or idle. The weight of the example she sets over my life is one ONLY God can mold in me. To be like her in any fashion, shape, or form requires from me, a dedicated heart relying on him; just as it was required of my mother. I have watched as she’s set luxuries aside, and quiet time aside, to feed, clothe, teach, discipline, spend time with, play, pray, and simply be with her children. She’s the servant of ALL servants, laying down her life for the good of her family. In the 21 years of watching and learning from her, I have seen her relationship with God growing, growing in her, and growing those around her. I have watched as she’s done all physically possible to see that we have food to eat, or clothes to wear… And I have also watched her cry out to God and trust that he’ll provide. And I have seen him hear, and answer those prayers without fail. My father is a strong leader, the purest example of a true man. The man I love deepest on this earth. In the 21 years I’ve been alive, I have watched him and my mom walk with God faithfully, never failing. I have watched them serve, serve the church, serve the saints, the sinners, the poor and the needy, never looking selfishly to see anyone meet their own needs. And when times got hard, or when there was persecution. My mom’s strong heart and loving hands were always faithfully folded in dads as support. Not once did I see her complain, not once did I ever hear a negative faithless word from her mouth. Not once was there any questioning of my father’s or God’s ability to provide. In the 21 years I watched and learned from my mom, I’ve learned what a deep walk with God is, and what true love as a wife looks like. I’ve learned what sacrifice takes, and means for a mother. For 21 years I saw my mother gladly give up simple pleasures to see her household blessed. And I have seen her blessed in the process. I have watched in pride my mother pour out her God given knowledge to the masses, and carry herself in a manner worthy of praise. She’s never invested money on herself in any kind of excess. Few of the items she owns were bought, but were given. However, you can’t find a more beautiful, well put together, stylish mother around! In the 21 years of being taught, trained, and loved by my mother, I have been blessed beyond measure and beyond words. Yes, Charm IS deceptive… Beauty IS fleeting… But a woman who fears the Lord WILL be praised. Such a woman is more beautiful and charming than all other women on earth combined.
MOM- Thank you for 21 years of your life which you dedicated to me in sacrifice. I have seen your hard work, your patience, your love, and your tears. I have heard your prayers over me, and seen the journals with my name on it, filled I’m sure with prayers and dreams over my life. Thank you for loving me through the difficult seasons. Thank you for showing me how to be a woman worthy of praise, a woman of noble character. Thank you for being a mother, and a best friend. Of all the women in my life, NO ONE will fill that special role, the role of a best friend and confidant. You know me better than anyone else will. You know things no one else will. I can share with you anything, and everything, and with you there are no secrets. This is something NO OTHER woman will EVER fill. Thank you for seeking God’s voice, for being his voice for me in so many circumstances. Your wisdom is beyond your years, and your advice I hold above anyone else’s. And mostly, thank you for showing me what a true, intimate, deep relationship with God is. I know him as I do, and I’m growing as I am only by your example and inspiration. I want to bless, lead and teach others with that same anointing as you which comes from truly KNOWING God. For all this and more I thank you.
On your birthday: I wish you MANY years of blessing. That God would bless you in abundance surpassing the extent of the blessing you’ve been to us. I pray that our relationship continue to grow. And I also pray that he fulfill in this season the desires of your heart as he’s promised. I love you with ALL my heart.
Your daughter
Sarah

1 comment:

Sheila Atchley said...

Wow, daughter. It isn't easy, this starting my day off in tears...again. (like yesterday!)
::grin::

We'll cry together some more. Okay?

I love you dearly - and will always be proud of your ferociously brave spirit.

Love,
mom